At Hillhouse design and technology should be fully inclusive to every child.
Our aims are to: fulfil the requirements of the National Curriculum for design and technology,
provide a broad and balanced curriculum, ensure the progressive development of knowledge
and skills, to learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable
citizens through evaluation of past and present design and technology, develop a critical
understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world, to participate successfully in an
increasingly technological world using the language of design and technology.
The aims of teaching design and technology in our school are:
● Develop creative, technical and imaginative thinking in children and to develop
confidence to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
● Enable children to talk about how things work and to develop their technical knowledge,
● Apply a growing body of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make
prototypes and products for a wide range of users,
● Encourage children to select appropriate tools and techniques when making a product,
whilst following safe procedures,
● Develop an understanding of technological processes and products, their manufacture
and their contribution to our society,
● Foster enjoyment, satisfaction and purpose in designing and making things,
● Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products, and the work of others,
● Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and to learn how to cook, through half termly cooking sessions