At Hillhouse Primary School, it is our intention to provide pupils with a high-quality education in English that will develop pupils' ability to speak, read and write with great fluency. We intend that pupils master the processes of both reading and writing, in order to develop a love and a true interest for English.
Writing is an integral part of our curriculum. All children from Foundation Stage to Year 6 are provided with many opportunities to develop and apply their writing skills across the curriculum. It is our intention:
- that pupils develop a clear understanding of the writing process in order to establish themselves as an author in their own right.
- to build their knowledge of writing for context and purpose, giving children opportunities to explore a variety of genres
- to develop their knowledge of genre features, audience, language and effective composition
- to immerse children in vocabulary-rich learning environments, using high-quality texts
- to ensure new curriculum expectations and the progression of skills are met across the school
- to develop a love of reading, creative writing and purposeful speaking and listening
- for pupils to learn how to understand the relationships between words, word meaning, implied meaning and figurative language within writing lessons
- for pupils to be taught to control their speaking and writing consciously and to use correct Standard English
- to develop fluency and comprehension in reading from the onset of primary education, so that our children are confident and enthusiastic readers by the end of KS1.